Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And Now There Are Six...


Well, yesterday I went down to gather eggs and I only counted six. When I went to feed them in the evening, there were only six. This morning I went down, and again, six. I am afraid to say that someone else has met their maker. At least, I am hoping, it was quick and painless. Amazingly, it wasn't our lame duck, who has some weird inflammation on her left foot. She's a tough bird. And surprisingly, it wasn't one of the males. We've lost two layers in a week! Where are the males protecting the females, I want to know. I can only figure that what happens is a female sits on her nest and is reluctant to get up and therefore loses her life protecting her eggs. So now we have four females and two males. I am wondering if I should start locking them up at night. The reason why I haven't is because they refused to. Maybe they have changed their mind. I figure it was a fox or coyote.

1 comment:

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi Julia. M here again. Oh dear, what is happening?Something must be stalking n taking the ducks. I feel sad. Find it, just find it. D ducks are just too beautiful to be lost. A big note of thanks. I have never in my life heard of Cayuga Ducks...so shyyyy..to say it!