Thursday, July 17, 2008

No Eggs! No Eggs!

Listen- no eggs these days. Sometimes I really think those ducks are on to me. Even though the last week or so of closing them in at night has produced the most perfect eggs, now they are withholding! What, do they hold in the egg until I let them out and then find their nests and let loose? And by the way, I can't find one darn nest.

Two other possibilities: rats are stealing the eggs over night, or they are about to molt and therefore has stopped egg production.

For the past two months I've been bringing a dozen eggs a week to a local restaurant (the stellar Global Palate on 9W). I think I'm going to have to tell them that it might just be all over. I really liked selling my duck's goods. Made me proud. Now what happens when we have a clutch of baby ducks and a newborn baby human to take care of??

3 comments:

Bubbles...ooo said...

Cool it missy. Mayb the ducks are just taking a break. Rejuvenating n then surprise u with larger eggs?BTW, are you expecting a baby? :o)

Erin said...

Do you have skunks? Because they really will get in there and steal eggs, it's astonishing really. I couldn't figure out why our egg numbers were so low with our chickens once and looked ALL OVER for a clutch only to come upon it weeks (a month?) later: a pile of 40-ish. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Do you have a babe on the way? If so congratulations. My two boys are nearly 4 and nearly 1. Our fowl were just fine while I adjusted to being a mom of 2. Everything else went to hell but those dang birds were just fine!

Erin said...

oh silly me, I just saw the date of this post :)

>blush<